Curry powder is a mixture of many herbs and spices, but the one ingredient that is present to all mixture is "turmeric." Curcumin is the substance that gives the spice turmeric its yellow color and is also responsible, at least in part, for some of the health benefits of curried dishes.
Health Benefits of Curry:
- Curry powder can help reduce inflammation of the joints; this is due to the presence of curcumin, a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent.
- Curry's curcumin may help deactivate genes that can trigger the onset and spread of breast cancer. Other studies suggest that curcumin may be effective in slowing the progression of prostate and colorectal cancers.
- Curry's curcumin have some positive effect in stabilizing pancreatic cancer.
- Curry's curcumin may help fight skin cancer. Tests in laboratory show that curcumin made melanoma skin cancer cells more likely to self-destruct.
- Curry powder may help prevent Alzheimers; this is again due to the presence of curcumin that act to clear the brain of protein deposit that is thought to cause Alzheimer's.
- Curry can help improve memory. A study conducted on older men who ate more dishes containing curry performed better in memory tests.
- Curry's curcumin is effective in the treatment of several sexually transmitted diseases, including gonorrhea and chlamydia.